Tuesday 6 March 2012

visa a go go!

Ok people....
Its really real now....
The American Government have officially welcomed us with open arms to their country...
Yes, after 2 hours of traveling, 2 1/2 hours waiting to be checked in and then another 1 hour wait for a 5 to 6 minute interview, the man at the American Embassy, he say YES...
Our visas have been authorised and will be winging their way to us via courier in the next three to five days. Im not sure the Americans know whats coming, although the man who interviewed us may have got a glimpse of the crazy lady he is letting lose in his homeland as I couldn't stop saying thank you and grinning like a....well a crazy lady...in fact I find myself doing it now, as I type.
Its really real now...wait I said that already...ha.. see..........

Now gaining access to the American Embassy is not as easy as it sounds. Online forms have to be filled in and followed up by a call to the embassy to book your interview. Now the website and the lady on the end of the line both stipulate that any and all electrical devices are strictly prohibited and entry will be denied if any are found on your person. So we decided that rather than having the hassle of storing our phones at Waterloo station when we arrived we would leave them at home, happy in the knowledge that we would not be stopped on entry...
Waiting in line for the checkpoint wasn't too long. A nice lady stood at the end of the que with plastic bags (like at the airport) insisted we took off our watches, belts and keys and put them in the bags for scanning. On producing my house keys I was told I couldn't take them in as I had a car key with a battery in it on the fob....
Arrrggggggg....
She pointed to a chemist sign a couple a hundred yards down the street and told me the would store it for me......leaving Adam in line i ran to the chemist only to find every man and his wife doing exactly the same thing... they where very quick though as they understood the urgency. (and cashing in £3 for every numpty like me). Returning to the line slightly embarrassed they let me join Adam..
Once inside all items where handed over to the lady on the scanning machine...
"No..........there is something in your bag mam"...
No there isnt.
"Yes ther is...please empty your bag mam"
There isnt i just got rid of my keys
"Im sorry mam but you need to empty your bag"
oh for goodness sake.....
Oh....my works car keys.... bugger...im really sorry.. i didn't realise i had them...
"Please exit the building mam. You may secure your keys but you are NOT entering WITH them"......

OMG....OMG....OMG....I have never run so fast in my life...back to the que at the chemist....

Now VERY embarrest i was scanned again and let through. We took a number and sat down....
Lets just say Adam was not a happy bunny..

But all systems are now a go. The hard part is behind us. Insurance and tickets to book and thats it. America here we come...
Well, appart from emptying the rest of the house,
transporting it to various friends and family around the country,
cancelling all our bank accounts except the new joint UK and American ones,
telling my work im leaving,
adams leaving do,
his 2 x three week training courses for resettlement,
looking after a friends house for 2 weeks while they go on holiday,
settling "The Boys" at the in-laws and traveling the width and breadth of England to say a farewell to folks.....
so not much really......Ha......

Ali x

No comments:

Post a Comment